Principal Software Development Manager - G7
Location: Salford Quays / Birmingham / National
Salary Range: £50,427 (National) £54,274 (London) - A digital allowance up to £16,000
Roles will be recruited using a combination of Digital, Data and Technology Capability and Success Profiles Frameworks. We will assess your Experience, Technical Skills, Ability and Behaviours during the selection process.
- Salary band for this role is £50,427 to £59,000 (£54,274 – £63,500 for candidates based within the M25)
- New recruits to the Civil Service are expected to join at the band minimum
- A generous digital allowance of up to £16,512 is also available (£18,486 for candidates based within the M25)
- The final allowance awarded will be based on an assessment of your skills and experience as demonstrated at interview.
These are exciting times at Her Majesty’s Court and Tribunals Service (HMCTS). As an agency of the MoJ, we provide the supporting administration for the judiciary across England and Wales. Within that portfolio, Digital and Technology Services (DTS) has a clear ambition to create an organisational culture where diverse and inclusive multi-disciplinary teams bring together in-house digital, data and technology specialists to build capability, work smarter and more efficiently. Please visit https://www.hmctsjobs.co.uk/dts/ for further details!
We’re building better justice for everyone by harnessing technology, curiosity and our burning mission to make a momentous impact. You have the chance to influence that change and own your mark.
With the scale and size of transformation, you’ll get exposure to bigger opportunities and new ways of learning that will push your potential. It’s a massive challenge doing career defining work, but we also embrace your individuality and life outside of work. So through flexible working we’ll trust you to shape the future in a way that suits you.
Sound like a challenge you’re up for?
The Principal Development Manager reports to the Head of Development and is a leading role, responsible for the quality and effectiveness of all aspects of software delivery in 3 – 4 digital delivery teams (Squads). Working with software developers and automation testers deployed in those delivery teams, this role concentrates on how the software is delivered, ensuring engineering and quality software is delivered.
Building on a software delivery background as a developer, automation tester or agile delivery manager and delivery experience preferably in technical software delivery and Agile ways of working.
What will you be doing?
- Leading software delivery activity in 3-4 delivery teams (squads) in the following functions:
- Within the application delivery teams for which the role is accountable:
- Ensure best practice standards for all relevant software engineering disciplines are adopted, throughout the application life cycle
- Maintain appropriate metrics within their delivery team to enable continuous improvement
- Take responsibility for resolving issues arising within their applications and implement corrective action
- Ensure the adoption of automation and measure how this reduces delivery time
- Input innovative approaches to the delivery teams and support the successful adoption of such ideas, driving improved performance
- Challenge unnecessary complexity of software development within delivery team, determining and removing the source of the complexity
- Identify and deal with potential and actual risks across or between all stages of the product life cycle, reducing the incidence of recurring risks
- Support the Head of Software Engineering on the most complicated risks, issues and dependencies. Contribute to the community of practice, leading on specific disciplines, tools or methods as required
- Lead the adoption of Agile and Lean practices within delivery teams, mentoring and coaching as required
- Work closely with the Principal Delivery Managers and Delivery Managers to ensure timely delivery of products and resources
What are we looking for?
- Essential software engineering specialism and a deep software delivery background as a developer or automation tester and delivery experience preferably in technical software delivery and Agile ways of working
- People management skills, including motivating, mentoring, coaching and performance management.
Specific software engineering related qualifications (and equivalents):
- Experience of delivering highly complex software solutions in a complex and highly demanding environment with a large number of users
- Credible and experienced in one or more software engineering disciplines
- Demonstrable experience of introducing innovative approaches and carrying these to successful adoption
- Knowledge of best practice and methods and experience of implementing these within multi-functional delivery teams
- Experience of problem solving and co-ordinating the planning and actions of others in HMCTS to deliver at pace
What can we offer you?
- A generous pension scheme on average of up to 27%!
- 25 days leave, plus 8 bank holidays, plus 1 privilege day usually taken around the Queens’ birthday
- Flexible working; whether it’s working from home or remotely, working part-time, job sharing, or working compressed hours, we have people doing it and are happy to discuss options with you
- Great maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave, with up to 26 weeks leave at full pay, 13 weeks with partial pay, and 13 weeks further leave. And maternity support/paternity leave at full pay for 2 weeks, too!
- Bike loans and secure bike parking (subject to availability and location)
- Season ticket loans, childcare vouchers, and eye-care vouchers.
- Up to 5 days paid leave per year for voluntary work you may wish to undertake
- We also currently have employee-run networks for colleagues of minority ethnic origin, employees with disabilities, those with caring responsibilities, women employees, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender employees with which you will eligible to join
We are passionate about career development and in order to help support this, we offer a number of training and development platforms that employees will have access to. Working with your manager, you will be given the support and time required to complete agreed courses, as part of your personal development plan.
- Pluralsight – Over 7000 video training courses created by over 1400 subject-matter experts, covering a wide range of software development related skills.
- Microsoft Enterprise Skills Initiative – a range of Azure focused courses that can lead to Microsoft Certification.
- Civil Service Learning – a wide variety of online training to help support your role as a Civil Servant.
Ends: 31 December 2021 at 23:55:00 GMT