HM Courts & Tribunals Service (HMCTS) is an agency of the Ministry of Justice. We provide administrative support for the legal system across England and Wales, ensuring justice works for everyone.
Our justice system defends our fundamental rights and freedoms. It is a cornerstone of our modern society and it must serve all those who call on it, when they call on it. From some of the most vulnerable people in our society, to families in crisis, claimants and commercial businesses – we have a responsibility to administer a justice system that is accessible to everyone and operates efficiently.
This reform means more and better ways to access justice for all those who need it, quicker and simpler processes for professional and public court users alike and a workforce that is as effective as it can possibly be. It means giving judges more time to do their job by cutting down on unnecessary paperwork and reserving court time for the most complex cases. It means making justice easier.
Our staff help provide access to justice for every person and business in the UK, including:
- victims and witnesses of crime
- defendants accused of crimes
- consumers in debt or with other disputes
- people involved in the adoption or protection of children
- businesses involved in commercial disputes
- individuals asserting their employment rights or challenging the decisions of government bodies
- people affected by relationship breakdown.